A Transformative Training Program for Coaches Seeking to Expand Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice in the Coaching Community and Beyond
Everywhere we look, we are faced with the stark realities of inequity and inequality.
We in the coaching community have the potential to be voices of change;
to shift how we understand ourselves, our clients, and the world around us,
and to participate in dismantling systems of oppression that have inflicted so much pain,
on so many, for so long.
Equity matters. Now more than ever.
From an organizational perspective, besides being the right thing to do, the data is clear: diverse and inclusive organizational cultures are more creative, innovative and collaborative, enjoy higher levels of employee alignment and engagement and deliver a stronger bottom line.
From the human perspective, every human deserves the right to live a free and self-actualized life, yet that opportunity is often reserved for a privileged few. Rectifying those inequities requires us to fiercely interrogate our current reality as we seek to deconstruct the systems and structures that perpetuate the status quo.
As coaches, how do we bring our unique gifts and talents to this challenge?
This highly engaging and interactive program has been created to support the creation of a more just, inclusive and equitable world.
We begin with the recognition that as coaches…
…we are committed to uncovering and unleashing the power and potential of the people we serve, and to that end, we have a responsibility to understand the full scope of who they are: as individuals, and in the context of the social, cultural, historical, and institutional realities that impact their lives.
…we recognize the demographics of our industry are not reflective of the world around us, and it’s our job to use our power and privilege to bring greater levels of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice into the coaching industry.
…we stand at a critical crossroads, and if we have the courage to face the challenges of inequity head on, we can be part of creating a new world order that respects the right of every human to live with peace, prosperity, and self-determination.
This highly interactive program employs a variety of learning methodologies designed to engage individuals with diverse learning styles, including direct instruction, large and small group discussions, experiential activities, case studies, peer-to-peer learning, coaching practice, participant-led activities, readings, podcasts, videos, and role play.
It is designed and facilitated by a team of passionate, committed practitioners who represent diverse race, gender, ethnic, and orientation identities, and bring an interdisciplinary perspective, drawing on training and expertise in coaching, diversity, equity, and inclusion work, leadership, sociology, organizational development, social work, creative problem-solving, neuroscience, and mindfulness.
Throughout the program, we will integrate the the work of the program into our work as coaches, providing tools, techniques, skills and competencies that are aligned with the new ICF Core Competencies.
- Understand history, contexts, and key factors contributing to existing systems of inequity and injustice, and how they may impact our clients
- Courageously examine assumptions and beliefs; our own, and those embedded in the cultures around us, and explore what they mean for our clients and for the coaching relationship
- Investigate organizational policies, procedures, systems, and structures through an Anti-Racist and Anti-Oppressive lens, both for ourselves and for our clients
- Connect the work of the program to specific coaching competencies and examine how an Anti-Racist and Anti-Oppressive perspective informs the coaching process
- Actively participate in the creation of truly equitable and inclusive cultures, in the coaching industry, in our organizations, and around the globe
Who Should Attend?
The “Embracing Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression program is appropriate for both new and experienced coaches who are passionate about equity and inclusion, have a desire to do the hard (and often messy) work of becoming anti-racist, and seek to adopt a social justice lens.
Content Areas: The Many Layers and Facets of Racism and Oppression
- Historical and Contextual: Racism and Oppression from a Historical and Sociological Perspective
- Individual: Identity, Privilege, Mindset, Trauma, Bias, Intersectionality
- Interpersonal: Overt and Covert Aggressions, Language, Tone Policing, Cultural Appropriation
- Institutional: Public Policy, Legislation, Organizational Systems and Structures
- Systemic: Social and Cultural Norms, Colorism, Caste, Gender, LGBTQIA+, the Global Face of Oppression
- Citizenship: Workplace Integration, Allyship, Action Planning
- Pre and Post Self-Assessments
- Nine (9) two-hour online sessions
- Interim readings, videos, exercises, and journaling assignments
- Interim small group calls to further process learning and insights from workshop content and interim activities
- 8 hours of coaching practice (with clients), utilizing the skills, competencies, tools, techniques, and expanded awareness developed in the program
- Small groups research and presentation project on a topic of interest.
- Workshop manual with participant course materials
Efficacy, Impact, Sustainability and Data Collection
Data regarding the impact of this program will be collected at various points before, during, and after to (a) drive a process of continual improvement and (b) support research into the efficacy of Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression programs and the sustainability of the change process.
- Participants will complete Pre and Post Self-Assessments evaluating cultural competency and perspectives on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging.
- Participants will provide real-time data in the form of qualitative evaluations upon completion of each session.
For information on dates and pricing please Contact Us.
To complete an application to participate in the program, please click here.